Saturday, May 4, 2013

DROWSY CHAPERONE

I think that progression and rhythm are the two biggest Hornby elements that would change the way you would analyze this musical. It seems to me that the music would do a a whole lot more than the script in terms of indicating the progression of a motif. The music allows you to hear the resolution of conflicts, the reshaping of themes, etc. that you may not necessarily see with the script. Tempo is also hugely important in a musical. Often, the tempo suggests a mood for the audience. Based on the music, the audience can often tell whether the tone of a scene or moment is comedic, dramatic, or something else entirely. Tempo within the music also indicates the level of tension of conflict present in the script. The lyrics may not indicate a build or rising action that the tempo of the music might.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the music helps out a lot! Reading the music and hearing the music makes a big difference as well. Reading the same words being sung over and over makes me bored. Hearing it helped me realize it's good for the script and I enjoyed it much more by hearing it. And I agree that the tempo helps your mood change in to exactly what the author was trying to make you feel. That is so awesome about music!

    ReplyDelete